Monday, February 24, 2014

"Mercy Flight" - Early Toth comics story

"Mercy Flight" p 1

"Mercy Flight" p 2

"Mercy Flight" p 3

"Mercy Flight" p 4

"Mercy Flight" p 5

And now for something completely different.  I scanned this out of a rapidly-deteriorating copy of New Heroic Comics #44, Sept, 1947.

Somewhere along the line, I picked up some information that this was among the first pro comics work by the great Alexander Toth.  And the first page is indeed signed "Sandy Toth"!

I like to think there is at least a hint of the great "wet black" technique that emerged later.  Certainly the art is head and shoulders over the rest of the stories in this moldering old pulp magazine.

I've been meaning to scan and post for quite some time, and have finally done so now that the blog is back up and running.  I think I have another issue of New Heroic with another Toth story.  Will see if I can find, especially if anybody out there is interested!

No comments: